Two weeks ago, during a string of rough days, intrusive thoughts blared across my mind, leaving in their wake, a tear-stricken face and warped mind. I’m not sure what your hard season looks like—job loss, heavy-hearted loneliness, a difficult diagnosis, grief from losing a loved one, a broken relationship, anxious and depressive thoughts, an eating disorder, or something completely different. In these difficult seasons, guilt, grief, heartbreak, loss, hurt, and shame may feel as though they pen the pages of your story. However, friend, if you were sitting with me, I would place my arm on yours, reminding you that these emotions and circumstances do not define your story, Christ does. These verses from Romans 8 help us tether our identity to Christ and although the hard circumstances or feelings don’t vanish, His Word provides an anchor for our floundering minds and souls.
- Romans 8:1: “Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death.” (NIV)
- We are free from condemnation because the Spirit sets us free and gives us new life. After we confess our sins, we can rest in Christ’s forgiveness and walk in freedom!
- Romans 8:11: “And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies because of his Spirit who lives in you .” (NIV)
- Friend, the Spirit who resurrected Jesus is living in us, no matter our circumstances; what an amazing hope we have of eternal life because of Jesus!
- Romans 8:14: “For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God.” (NIV)
- When we believe in Jesus, we are God’s children and we are led by the Spirit. God’s children! He loves us as His own and His love is more perfect than we could ever imagine. We also are led by the Spirit. We can cast off the pressure of living within our own strength; instead, we can humble ourselves and follow the Spirit’s lead.
- Romans 8:37: “No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.” (NIV)
- Because of Jesus’ love He displayed on the cross, we are more than conquerors. More than, friend. This means that in suffering, we aren’t just barely victorious, but we are confident victors. What a hope for our weary souls!
- Romans 8:39: “…neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (NIV)
- Nothing can separate us from God’s love. His love reaches us, no matter our circumstances or feelings, drawing us close. We can rest securely in His love, friend.
Dear one, next time our minds and souls are floundering, let’s anchor ourselves to God’s truth in Romans 8. Let’s tether ourselves to His Word, buoying our weary souls. Take heart, what a secure identity we have in Christ.
Leave a Reply